Wednesday 5 March 2008

Raisin and Walnut Beer Bread

Thanks again to Daemonfall on Livejournal for the suggestion of beer bread as my next recipe - it proved incredibly easy and one I will make again (It was scoffed in a hurry over the weekend!).

The basic recipe I followed was as follows:

Easy Beer Bread

(makes 1 medium loaf)

3 cups self-raising flour
3 tblsp sugar
1 300 ml can beer (any sort) I used Strong Suffolk Vintage Ale, I have no idea about beers, the label said it had a caramel character, so it was good enough for me.

Method:
Sift all dry ingredients together into a bowl and create a well in the centre, immediately pour in and mix in the beer, pour into a greased medium loaf tin. The mixture should roughly half-fill the tin. Place in medium hot oven (about 190C) for about 50 minutes until well-risen. Turn out on a cake rack to cool.


It got a little hairy for a little bit as I couldn't find my bottle opener anywhere, I kept wondering "what the heck am I going to do with a bowlful of flour?", when luckily I found an old opener and the back of the utensil drawer. As an after thought I mixed through a handful of chopped walnuts and raisins to make a nice sweet bread, sprinkling cinnamon and a little extra sugar on top of the loaf before sticking it in the oven.

Went fantastically well with a cup of tea and bitter orange marmalade. Definitely something I'll make again soon.

2 comments:

FlavourSmash said...

Hi Mary!
Thanks for being the first person to comment on FlavourSmash! Loving your blog, some great ideas going on there - really like the stew recipe you've posted. I think there's loads of potential for intensely flavoured low fat stews that you can just whack on at the weekend and forget about it until dinner time. I've got some great posts that I can't wait to write on low carb alcoholic drinks and oriental flavours, so keep checking back for new posts. I'll add you to my blogroll immediately! x

Mer said...

You're very welcome! I'm back after a bit of a hiatus and will be updating again soon!

x