When it comes to baking, I'm more of a biscuit/fruit cake type person, and only really dig out the muffin cases if I'm making breakfast muffins. But tomorrow my work is having their summer party and as part of the whole "Summer Fete" theme, there's going to be a cupcake baking competition, with a few ladies from the Women's Institute judging.
So, for something very last minute (I wasn't going to enter in all honesty), and vaguely British Rajish I have made (gluten-free and dairy-free) Lemon, Poppy-Seed and Cardamon Spiced cupcakes with a Lemon Drizzle. So wish me luck tomorrow!
Lemon, Poppy-Seed and Cardamon Spiced cupcakes with a Lemon Drizzle
Makes 12 cup cakes
For the cakes:
100g Gluten-free plain flour (as mentioned previously, I find Doves Farm the best)
1 tsp baking powder
100g golden caster sugar
50g dairy free magarine, softened
2 large free range eggs
2 tbsp soy milk
juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
4 green cardamon pods, seeds removed and ground to a fine powder
2 tbsp poppy seeds
a few drops of yellow food colouring (optional)
For the lemon drizzle:
50g icing sugar
1/2 tbsp golden caster sugar
juice of 1/2 a lemon
Method (for the cupcakes):
1. Line a muffin tray with paper muffin cases and preheat the fan forced oven to 190 degrees celsius.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cardamon and sugar.
3. Add the margarine, eggs, milk, lemon juice and zest and food colouring (if adding), whisk together until creamy, then fold in the poppy seeds.
4. Divide the mixture between the paper muffin cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they're golden coloured and firm to the touch. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack.
Method (for the lemon drizzle):
1. In a small bowl, sift the icing sugar and caster sugar together.
2. Mix in the lemon juice until it forms a paste.
Method (to finish off):
1. While the cupcakes are still warm, prick a few small holes on top with a cocktail stick.
2. Drizzle the icing over the top of the cupcakes with a spoon and leave to finish cooling and for the icing to set.