Well, I say cakes, but these are half way between a cake and a scone - a bit of an experiment thanks to the yoghurt that the lovely people over at Total and Traffic Partners had sent me, if you remember from this post.
They're lovely on their own, but even better with a dollop of cream or some jam. I've used the full fat yoghurt for these, but I'm sure it would work with the 0% fat yoghurt too.
Obviously it doesn't have to be gluten-free, you can use normal flour if you want, but if you do, cut down the yoghurt amount by 2 tablespoons.
Gluten-free yoghurt, pistachio, cranberry and orange blossom water cakes
Makes roughly 16 cakes depending on the size of cutter you use (I used a tumbler glass).
225g Gluten-free flour (I find the Doves Farm stuff to be the best)
1 tbsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
60g unsalted butter
30g brown sugar
40g chopped, unsalted pistachios
2 tbsp orange blossom water
1 large egg
8 tbsp yoghurt
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, and lightly grease a baking tray with butter.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda.
3. Rub the butter into the flour mixture, until it has the texture of small breadcrumbs.
4. Mix in the spices, pistachios, sugar, honey, orange blossom water and cranberries.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and yoghurt, quickly mix this into the cake mix – it should become a slightly wet dough.
6. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until cracks and bubbles disappear. Roll out so it is about a 1.5cm thick.
7. With your cookie cutter (or in my case a tumbler), press out rounds in the dough. Roll up the excess dough, roll out again and continue making rounds until there is no dough left.
8. Place the tray in the hot oven for a couple of minutes to melt the butter a little, take it out and lay your rounds out on it, sprinkling them with a little flour.
9. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. Let them cool a little, then serve with cream and jam.