Thursday 28 February 2008

A question of cocktails

Long before my partner's father got me into wine (story of how that happened to follow*), the only alcoholic drinks I enjoyed were sickly sweet liqueurs such as Bailey's, or cocktails (also somewhat sickly sweet). Not exactly the healthiest way to enjoy night out - especially for the calorie content! Now it's been a while since I've had a cocktail, but one I must try one day is a concoction called the Mojito of the Future, a drink invented by "molecular mixologist", Eben Freeman. Look how pretty it is:


Image courtesy of The Guardian.


Yes, those are frozen balls of mint and lime, eerily suspended in a viscous mixture of Barcadi rum, sugar and carbonated water...gelatin and Xanthan gum. Here's the man in action creating the drink:




Now, where can I get me some Xanthan gum?

No comments: